Tuesday 7 July 2015

The River Walk






The River Walk

Autumn is my favourite time of year, obviously it's not Autumn, it's Summer, but the great advantage with living in Scotland is that we tend to get all the seasons in one week, sometime's even in one day.
This particular day was one of the warmest in awhile, we adventured out by the river going through a mix of coloured leaves, flowers, and ending up at the bank of the river.

Rohan, my son, is an undercover merman. He's part Australian (on his father's side) so that doesn't really surprise me. He's in love with water, he'll one day be the person to discover how to permanently breathe underwater, free of the boundaries of the human respiratory system.
He made me take off my shoes (and his) and dip our feet in the water, still icy even on the warmest day of the year. He doesn't flinch, it could have been ice water and he still would have ventured in.

 I watched him run his hands along the pebbles, and fallen leaves floating in the water. I struggle to follow him as he walks with ease over the stones and struggle, slip, cringe at the awkwardness of my feet contouring to the rocks. He even tells me to "Be careful mummy" as I fumble, holding his hand.

He cried when we had to leave, I had to pull him away like a fish squabbling to escape back into it's habitat. We had spent three hours just paddling through the river, it was almost 9pm. I felt guilty taking away his fun, I could have watched him play in the water for hours more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment